5.3.09

Destined to Suck

Ok, Star of Destiny wasn't that bad. It was obvious that the people who put it all together worked really hard (to try to keep the audience awake). But it was ridiculously cheesy. Several times throughout the movie a star above the screen would light up and sparkle, perhaps to evoke a feeling of wonder. For me, it just made me laugh (you can see the star in the picture below). Every couple of minutes I were startled with some kind of interaction, be it a gust of wind, a "snake" in my chair, or a "grasshopper" on my neck. Aside from these things though, the movie wasn't at all interesting. The time limit of 15 minutes was waaay to short to outline all of the accomplishments of Texas which made it all seem like a blur of people I knew nothing about... I couldn't really keep up with what it was talking about.

As far as animals are concerned, the most significant thing about them is how little they were talked about. One of the only times I remember animals mentioned was when they talked how awful the snakes were, and how they were all flying through the air when the cowboys tried to blow up a snake nest. They were present in many of the pictures though: mostly as (unsurprisingly) things that people used. I even think that the word "cattle" and "land " was used interchangeably for a moment. Horses were also present in a lot of the pictures, but weren't made to stand out any more than a car is today. Every time an animal was shown, it was under the rule of man (snakes being exterminated, cattle being herded, and horses being ridden). The film basically accentuated the view of animals in Texas history- the view that they are, and should be, dominated by men.

As a vegan, the ending "inspirational" talk telling me that I am a hero at heart because I have Texan blood was just a little too much cheese for me. As hard as it tried to entertain me, I was glad when the 15 minutes were over.


Texas, Our Texas:


No comments:

Post a Comment